1940's
The Keokuk Airport was established and KOKX radio went on the air in 1946.
With baby-boomers filling elementary schools, the new, current Keokuk High School and community college open in 1953.
The old lock built in 1913 became too small for newer, larger barges and was replaced in 1957 with, by far, the largest lock on the Mississippi.

1960's
The George M. Verity River Museum was donated to the City of Keokuk in 1961 by the Armco Steel Corporation. The boat was built in Dubuque, Iowa by the U.S. Government in an effort to revive river transportation and move barges from St Louis to St. Paul. The boat was then known as the S.S. Thorpe. In 1940 Armco Steel Corporation bought the boat and put it into service on the Ohio River. They renamed it the George M. Verity after the founder of their company. The museum is still open for tours today.
The new Keokuk Public Library opened in 1962, largely the gift of the Huiskamp family.

Fires and outright structural collapses in Keokuk’s old downtown caused the Chamber of Commerce to suggest urban renewal that resulted in the building of Keosippi Mall in 1963. This photo is of the razing of homes on Morgan Street. Many historic buildings had to be destroyed in this era due to the eroding elements of time.

1980's
1981 saw the completion of Keokuk Area Hospital’s new facility, and the beginning of Kindustry Park.
The old double-decker bridge was replaced in 1985 by a wider bridge that would not have to be opened for river traffic to pass. The old bridge is still used for railroad traffic. The upper part of the Keokuk side of the bridge is now an observation deck overlooking the Mississippi and lower side of the lock, dam and power plant.
Keokuk’s Sesquicentennial is celebrated in 1997 and the city works toward a prosperous tomorrow.

Back to the Top